29 August 2013

Slovenia

When we came to live in Czech Republic from the UK (8 years in 4 days time), we were very excited about being situated in the centre of Europe.  We imagined zipping off here, there and everywhere but 8 years on, we've honestly not been far.  Mainly because I don't like to constantly put the dogs and cats in the kennels.   After 8 years, several of our friends and family have visited us so many times, and are so bored with Valtice, we are venturing further afield.   We picked up Mark and Rose from Bratislava last week, and headed down to Slovenia, which is around a 6 hour drive for us.  The weather was brilliant, and we managed to see quite a lot of Slovenia's 47km coastline. 

Day 1 we walked to Piran along the coastal path.   Piran was once a thriving port, but that was filled in to make the main square and these days there is just a marina.


There is a very strong italian influence here, as seen pretty, narrow streets

 But it was a very hot day, and I was reduced to buying a silly hat to stop my brain from frying


We also took a ride on the local bus to the port of Koper. 


And on the last day we hired bikes for the day.  I thought we were just going for a pootle round, and was happy to get the map out over a beer after the first 12 kms


But I was traveling with three nutters who thought it would be a good idea to do a 45 km loop over the mountains and back down the coast.  It was pretty, but I'm afraid I was concentrating on making it to the end without dying, so failed to take any more photos.  Oh apart from this one!

 I rarely drink beer, and NEVER a big glass, but by this time, I was past caring!!

We had the best of the weather, because it rained all the way home on Sunday, and has hardly stopped until today.  Good for the garden though.  I hoped you liked my whistle stop tour of the Slovenian coast - you might even go there one day.  I will say though, it's not a place for hardened sun worshippers.  There are no beaches, and sunbathers are relegated to the pavements!


Not my idea of a good holiday!!
 

10 comments:

  1. Love all the photos - great post, too. I totally understand about the sunhat. Mine, bought on the hot streets of NYC, is now my water aerobics hat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. stunning photos .. wear a hat and dont fry your brains .. sounds like a good idea to me x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks more or less like fun, not so sure about the 45k loop though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing. It looks picturesque and the hat a necessity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had a fabulous time...even without the beaches.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was going so well until the bike ride and pavement tanning, does look lovely though xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks lovely, but I'll pass on the killer 4.5km hike thank you very much.... lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well you took lovely photo's and I would have drank the beer too! I think it would cook your brain to lay on the hot pavement to tan!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this post. Sounds like you had a nice little adventure. May I suggest you visit Rovinj in Croatia! You were so close and it is so beautiful. Next time for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks beautiful, but what's a coast without a beach?! I'm a beach girl, and spending all day lazing on the sand or in the water. None of this cycling on hot days!

    ReplyDelete