05 October 2013

Happy Go Lucky

I've had plenty of notice to make a baby quilt for our colleague, Pete and his wife - around 6 months actually, but of course, the baby has arrived and it's not finished yet.  In my defence, the baby was early by 2 weeks, so it would have been finished if she's been on time!Adriana is   their 4th baby (yes 4, heaven help them) and makes the family a nice rounded 2 boys and 2 girls.  They assure me this is the last, although they said that when number 3 was born!

Not knowing whether it was a boy or girl, I chose this fabric as I thought it was bright and cheerful, but fairly neutral.
I also had one of those mini charm packs from my goodie bag at the FQR in London, so I teamed it together with a charm pack, and put together this very simple, quick quilt


I placed the blocks on point, just to make it a bit more interesting.  I've done this before, but last time I just winged it with the setting blocks.  This time I looked up on t'interweb how to do it properly, and low and behold, I haven't got wavy edges, because the setting blocks don't have bias edges on the outside!  Oh and I starched it for the first time, having discovered cans of spray starch in the shops here for the first time.  I am offically in love with starching fabric, it makes such a difference.

So yesterday I added the sashing...


then basted it and started to quilt.  I decided to try sewing a spiral, but despite having practiced 3 or 4 times, it still looked like a dog's breakfast, so I'm afraid it was ripped out.

Now I've just got to decide what to do with it.  Any suggestions?

Have a nice Saturday.  We're off to the Vinobrani in town (like a wine harvest festival) this afternoon, so I'll have some photos for you tomorrow.


11 comments:

  1. Hi Dianne! I love this quilt! Your pattern is great and those fabrics of course so beautiful! What hapened with the quilting?! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wine festival eh, I suggest no quilting tomorrow then!

    How about a semi-circle from one corner - then you never have to do a full tight spin?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty quilt!! That middle bit of a spiral is a right blighter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the quilt! Hadley's suggestion is a really good idea, otherwise I'd go for straight line quilting on a diagonal ( following the line of the blocks).Then if you were feeling up to it doing the diagonal the other direction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous, well done, and I totally agree on the circle sewing, it's a total pain, i can't do it either. I am loving grid patterns at the moment, simple and effective, but not after the wine festival! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I was thinking of circular hand quilting for my ST quilt!! Good luck Di - it's a lovely quilt. Sounds like you have some good suggestions :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty. How about orange peel quilting pattern? That makes squares look more delicate :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The quilt is lovely and spray starch makes a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking good - I assume you're done the quilting by now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a lovely quilt! I assume you've got it quilted by now, but I do love Hadley's suggestion. I'm going to try that myself one day.

    ReplyDelete