21 October 2013

Happy Go Lucky

Yesterday was a beautiful late autumn day.  Known as an Indian Summer in the UK, it is called a babi leto, or grandmothers summer here in czech.  I took advantage to get out and take some photos of the baby quilt I've just finished for our colleague's little girl, Adriana, who was born on the 1st of October.
We didn't know if it was going to be a blue or a pink baby so I was looking for a fabric that was bright, but gender neutral. I already had a mini charm pack of Happy Go Lucky which was in my goodie bag at the FQR earlier this year, so I ordered a Charm pack, and put together a fairly simple quilt with the blocks on point
I added a 1 1/2 inch border in a Liberty print I had, which I felt made it a little less blue


And Bobs your uncle.  Quilting it was a little more challenging - I showed you the disasterous attempt to quilt a circle in variegated thread.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-gSi_cC8o9H0/Uk_ucCGrJXI/AAAAAAAAE0E/mSkYCv-lFHs/s1600/IMG_0748%5B1%5D.JPG
Thanks to everyone who gave me ideas for an alternative quilting.  In the end I reverted to good old white thread,  and used an orange peel pattern.
 I then added a little flowery border, as by this time I knew it was a girl
Overall, I'm very pleased with this little baby quilt.  I've not made a small quilt for ages, and I''d forgotten how nice and fast they were!



 And one with ted of course

 It was only when I'd almost finished it that I looked back at the quilt I'd made them for their last baby



A certain similarity unfortunately.  Oh well, I'm not starting again!

Stats
Pattern: by me
Fabric : Happy Go Lucky
Backing fabric: Grand Bazaar
Binding: Ta Dot from Michael Miller
Quilted:  Orange Peel and flowers using Aurifil 50

I'm also very pleased to say this is also my first finish in the Q4 FAL.










13 comments:

  1. not sooo similar x Im sure they will like it anyway because you took the trouble to make it xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think similar but different is just the right balance for siblings quilts. It's a lovely finish and I now want to try orange peel quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Susan said, it's nice to have similar but different for siblings, and it's beautiful, so I'm sure they'll be delighted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! The peel quilting is perfect too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love this quilt and the Liberty border is ridiculously perfect and brings out all those lovely prints. I too want to try some of that orange peel quilting but first I need to beg some new quilting gloves from...someone *cough* ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the quilting- and I don't think they're that similar at all, I see squares on point yes, but everything else is very different!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A cute quilt with great quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it and I especially love the quilting. I think it is a wonderful gift and also a wonderful finish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Och, the only similarity is squares, it looks great, and love the quilting

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely quilt and a good finish. I like your quilting desing. Have you tried using YLI invisible thread for quilting? I use it all the time and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh similar is a good thing!
    Really sweet xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to make a baby quilt and I just might copy you. It looks perfect and I think very different from the first baby's quilt

    ReplyDelete