07 October 2013

Lost Heirloom

Well, not exactly lost, just deeply buried.  Remember this?
Bridget, my SIL, and I have made 29 of these blocks, so earlier on this year, I though I'd have a go at putting them together.  My thought was a low volume diamond to join the blocks, but I had terrible trouble getting them to fit.  It seemed that some of the outside seams were coming out smaller than others - you can see the one on the left is slightly smaller.  


I just couldn't figure what was wrong - how can it be small if you're using templates?  So in frustration, I stuck it in a draw and ignored it.

Then when Bridget came over in summer we got them all out looking at them, and my other SIL,  Josie pointed out that some of the snowballs were actually quite a bit smaller than the others!  How?  Then the penny dropped.  I had sent Bridget the pdf file with the templates, for her to print off at home, and she had must have printed them on "shrink to fit" not actual size.  Oh bugger, and that's being polite!  There's a lesson to be learned here.

So they got buried again for another couple of months, until I took them out the other day.  I really must bite the bullet and do something with them.   But the question is what to do with 20 big blocks
and 9 slightly smaller ones?
I was thinking of making the front up with the bigger blocks, and using the smaller ones for the back.  Unless you have any suggestions that is?




























16 comments:

  1. Oh bugger indeed. Front and back seems the only logical solution. What a shame for the mix up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are very beautiful blocks and definitely worth to become a quilt. What if you would sew a round of background fabric around them all? Or a kind of sashing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe create a medallion of the 9 smaller in the center, and then make some sort of clever border around it with the big blocks.
    It could work :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know, but they do look fantastic, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the same thought as Melanie!
    Place the 9 smaller ones in the centre, make a border and then place the others around it.
    Just my two cents :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you have the right idea; nice big off-centre sashing on the smaller ones/back - perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the medallion idea the others suggested - but they'd be a gorgeous back too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of these ideas are lovely, I like the idea of being able to use them all on the quilt top.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The blocks are too lovely not to use. How big are the blocks? All the above suggestions would work. The size discrepancy could be evened out with another round of material but it depends on how big the blocks would end up then.

    ReplyDelete
  10. some good suggestions .. or you could make 2 quilts .. maybe applique them in a randon way onto a background.. or mixture of everyones ideas x but definatly put all that work to use xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. A quilt and a matching cushion?

    ReplyDelete
  12. You couldnt do a wee border round the wee ones? Get them up to size and they'll stand out too?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh bugger- what a conundrum because those blocks really are so pretty!

    Im thinking of using those smaller ones in a fancy border of some type. The idea of popping them on the back would work well too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wouldn't waste them on the back,medallion center or use 8 smaller ones to break up big borders

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd go front and back too, less faff ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. i would applique them randomly onto a background (solid)

    ReplyDelete