15 November 2013

Super Tote

I can't believe a week has gone by since my last post.  I've had quite a busy week and managed to get some sewing done.  We also went out on Saturday to celebrate St Martins day, which is traditionally the day when St Martin arrives on his white horse (bringing snow - which didn't happen), the local restaurants cook special Svatomartinske husa (goose dinner) and in this area,you  can drink the first of the new  wines. We missed the wine because we went a day too early, and it hadn't been released, which is no great loss as it's not usually very nice! (but don't tell anyone I said that OK?)

Before I show you the sewing, I have drawn the winners from the Giant Chevron pattern giveaway.  I actually got the random number generator to work this time, but then having generated the numbers, I tried to re-poisition the little blocks, and they numbers dissappeared.   So I hope you will trust me that the number were

Number 12 - Sarah - Narcoleptic in a cupboard

and number 19 -  Barbara Woods

Congratulations both - I'll drop you a line just to confirm and forward your e-mail addresses to Jess. And thanks to everyone who visited and left a comment

I spent some time last week making a SuperTote from the Noodlehead pattern.  More time than anticipated, but I always under-estimate how long things will take to make!  It took an age to sort out all the pattern pieces, stick them together, then cut out all the pieces,
 but once that was done, it was plain sailing.  The pattern was really easy to follow, and there really no tricky bits at all.  I will admit though, I'm a little dissappointed with the finished article

The bag as a whole is a little limp, I think mainly because of the sides.  I added a double layer of interfacing as recommended, but I think I should have put in some of the stiffener in the gusset, like I did in this bag

It gives the bag some shape and substance.  Also the sides look a little like orange peel
which I think is the fault of the interfacing combined with linen - the interfacing was bought locally and maybe is not that good quality.
I also opted to make it without a magnetic fastener on the front pocket - I went for the photo in the pattern, with a magazine in the front pocket - but it flops open, and would be much better with some sort of fastener. 
Can you see what I mean about it being limp.  It needs some Skeli-grow!
 I also had to add a bit of top stitching to the handles as the top of the bag rolled inwards

However, I do love the internal elasticated pocket. which I lined (and the external pocket) although this wasn't in the pattern

I'm not saying it's a bad pattern or bag, but if I make it again, I know what I would change to make it a lot better.   And I'm sure the bag will do a perfect job of holding all my holiday "stuff" - kindle, ipad, sewing, sun tan lotion, sunglasses!


12 comments:

  1. What interfacing did you use? I always use the woven stuff for fusible because the orange peel thing seems to happen a lot with that other artificial type stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just fill that bag with stuff and it will stand nicely. You did a lovely job with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interfacing is confusing, I know what I want but ordering the right type online is never easy. I think the QAYG idea is nifty cos it gives you something much firmer right away....

    ReplyDelete
  4. It might be limp but it's a great looking bag

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks good - I always use Vilene woven, not the papery stuff, that never works.
    Well done to Sarah and Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once its stuffed full of your things it wont be limp anymore. I really like the fabric and look of the bag. Stiffer interfacing next time?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a lovely bag though, Di! Love your choice of fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It will look good when full of stuff. You can put a sew on magnetic clasp on the front pocket?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes one just needs a bag to lug stuff around, even if it hasn't entirely lived up to your initial dreams. I have a few of them ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi - thought I'd mention that I also made a bag for my daughter that, after completion, I found definitely needed a magnetic fastener to hold the pocket from flopping open. What to do?! I attached the fasteners to a disc of material and batting - batting a little larger than the fastener, material larger than that with a gathering thread to pull it snug around the batting - and then stitched them in place. It worked a treat. You could use any shape at all - square, oval, diamond - make a feature out of it so to say.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi - thought I'd mention that I also made a bag for my daughter that, after completion, I found definitely needed a magnetic fastener to hold the pocket from flopping open. What to do?! I attached the fasteners to a disc of material and batting - batting a little larger than the fastener, material larger than that with a gathering thread to pull it snug around the batting - and then stitched them in place. It worked a treat. You could use any shape at all - square, oval, diamond - make a feature out of it so to say.

    ReplyDelete