08 December 2013

Now we are three!

A couple of years ago, I came across a fellow quilter and blogger who lives about 60 or 70 kms away from me.  Jitka and I have met a few times, and jokingly call ourselves the Southern Moravia Modern Quilt Guild.   And yesterday, we became three!  Jitka and Vera travelled all the way here to have a sewing day, hopefully to put together a quilt to show at the Prague Patchwork Exhibition in April.

I was most disappointed then, to wake up to this

Even the dogs weren't too happy to go out in it

In England, this weather would almost certainly cause the day to be cancelled, but a bit of snow never stopped any czech driver, and the ladies arrived on time.

We started with 15 mugs, a tea pot, and lots of solid fabrics.  It took a while to get going - there was a lot of moving the mugs around to find the best layout, but in the end, you just have to take the bull by the horns, and make a start




We were sustained by tea, mince pies, and lemon card tarts, which I think was a first for Jitka and Vera! You try and explain why mince meat is so called, when there is no meat in them!. 

 By late afternoon, we had finished the quilt top


The quilt was inspired by Sarah Fielke's "All that and the hatter" quilt in her book Hand Quilted with Love.   Jitka (that's her on the right) made the tea pot in the middle from her own pattern, and has now taken the top away to  quilt it!  Hopefully, it might raise a few eyebrows at the  Prague patchwork meeting!

I had a lovely day, ladies, thanks so much for making the journey.  It is so nice to share the day with someone who is interested in sewing!  And thanks for speaking English - I am so lazy not speaking czech!  Hopefully we can get together again soon.

Those of you in the Sew Euro-bee-an bee may recognise the blocks, as I requested them to be made for my month in October.  But don't worry ladies, I have your blocks safely in a drawer ready to make my very own quilt!

I

17 comments:

  1. Great quilt Dianne and how lovely to be able to share with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right about how lovely it is to share your love of sewing with friends, and you did remarkably well for one days sewing, good luck with the competition. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is just beautiful and bright! great job ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post to see! Soon you will grow even more I'm sure, especially if you display your modern quilting publicly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dianne, it was great day for me too. Thanks for your hospitality. You and Jitka are both very friendly, kind ladies and tallented quilters! I hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Southern Moravia Modern Quilt Guild is a rousing success! Love the quilt, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant quilt top, and looks like you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. it looks great .. and what a wonderful way to spend your day.. despite the snow xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job ladies! I have long since ceased to try and explain mincemeat o.O Although if you could explain to me why I inexplicably have 3 jars of it, that would be good, apparently it's been breeding...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the addition of another czech quilter :) Your MQG is expanding! Now you can stop joking about it and found your own MQG ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad that you were able to get together. It sounds like you all had lots of fun and accomplished a lot as well. Just have to love those mugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is fab or so fun that you had a "guild"meeting too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it! I really like that you've chucked some traditional fabric in for the cups too, just for the hell of it

    ReplyDelete
  14. He he couldn't find my block and thought oh it was probably too crap to use lol... Lovely quilt couldn't really imagine it from blocks

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lucky you for finding some friends to sew with. I'm sure even if you couldn't speak any of each other's language you would still have fun together, and speak sewing words anyway. Do you speak any Czech?

    ReplyDelete