18 January 2014

Patchwork comes to town

I know I have mentioned this before, but there are times when I feel quite isolated out here in the Czech Republic.  I mainly sew alone and whilst I have a couple of sewing friends, Jitka and Vera, they are about 100 kms away, so it's not easy to meet up.  The blogs I read seem to be full of reports of little sewing groups,  patchwork meetings, classes and exhibitions  and I feel so jealous. 

Well today I think I have ended all that.   I was very happy when I read in the local paper that there would be a patchwork class in the gallery in town this weekend.  It was for beginners, but hey, if there's a chance to meet other quilters, improve my czech, and make friends, I'm not going to turn it down.   I think I can safely say, I did all three.
 I was all packed up early this morning, ready to go like the first day at school!  Excited but really nervous.

 But I needn't have been, as everyone was really friendly, and despite my appalling czech, they actually talked to me (the girls at line dancing don't talk to the foreign devil!) 

There were 9 of us and as it happens, we made a block that I've always wanted to try and never done, a windmill block, or flic-flak as we czech's call it!  The fabrics were all provided, so maybe not what I would normally choose, but I think not too bad

It looks a little darker than it really is because I've taken the photo at night, but the floral fabric is quite Liberty-esque.  This block is really easy for a beginner to make, but it looks really impressive and far more complicated than it it

Here we are all at work


And another couple of blocks






We are meeting again in March, and they have even swapped the day so that I can go!  How about that then.  But the funniest thing, and one that had Gordon rolling in the aisles, is that some of the girls have persuaded me to go to belly dancing classes!!  I can't believe I said yes, but you have to take the chances that present themselves!   I will let you know how I get on, but be sure, there will be NO PHOTOS!



23 comments:

  1. So glad you had fun at your patchwork class! I always knew sewing people are the warmest, most including people in the world ;-)
    Really looking forward to hearing how you enjoy your belly dancing classes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy the belly dancing!

    It is so nice to have a group to go to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad that you had a good meet up, taking the plunge to go is the hardest bit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like fun and your block is lovely, i like that vintage look. Have fun dancing and how great to have met new friends!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to meet quilters in the neighbourhood.

    Have fun belly dancing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really think you should take pictures of belly dancing class...

    Isnt it wonderful to meet like minded people who enjoy sewing as much as you do. One of the things I look forward to most is my monthly sewing group. Its great to get together and trade ideas and have a natter and gossip.

    Do the line dancing chicks really totally ignore you? Thats just nasty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Makes mental note to bribe Gordon to take photies of the belly dancing...

    Glad you had a fun day anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so wonderful! I am so happy that you can meet some local sewers, our local LIDL is selling sewing machines and I have kept my eye on them, not 1 has sold, guess no one sews where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spending time with quilters in real life is great isn't it. I'm so please it worked out well for you. Enjoy the belly dancing, I hear it's great exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant - I am really chuffed for you! They sound like a good group, play nicely and you will be able to ditch those line-dancers - belly dancers sound more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like fun. I have never went to patchwork class actually :-) but we have a group of quilters meeting up every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bely dancing and quilting . . .interesting combo. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm jealous. Although there are quilting groups where I live, they meet in the day, so no good for us workers. Belly dancing sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I tried to sign up for belly dancing years ago but the class was full. New friends, new skills and sewing. Life sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. so glad for you :-) I am isolated too where I live, but you are right - you have to take the opportunities as they come, even if they are not what you would always have chosen!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Belly dancing? Don't you need to have a belly for that, you skinny minnie!!!
    Great news that you may have met some local kindred spirits though!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know what you mean about sewing alone when i lived in Scotland it was the same i had my lap top ans sewing machine then Katy put her hand out http://www.bloglovin.com/frame?post=2215757877&group=0&frame_type=b&blog=3256423&link=aHR0cDovL3RoZWxpdHRsZXN0dGhpc3RsZWNyYWZ0c2hvcC5ibG9nc3BvdC5jb20vMjAxNC8wMS93aG9sZS1sb3R0YS1iYWctYWxvbmctZGF5LTEuaHRtbA&frame=1&click=0&user=0 and not long after i moved back down to England and now i have groups to go to and it is fab ,glad you enjoyed looking forward to hearing of the belly dancing !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Littlest Thistle if that link is useless !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Think of the core strength you will build, you will be so fit if you belly dance, outrageous as it might seem. I am so glad you have found a group of friends who don't see you are the foreign devil.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like a fab day all round, and it's a great technique isn't it, gives a really effective block. Good Luck with the belly dancing :o)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can recommend belly dancing. It is fun. I´m also glad you find some quilters in Valtice and have fun in class. If you have some time to trip, I found a local quilt shop in Policka, they have prices about 170 Kc per metr (Tante Ema fabric) and other German, Danish and American (250 Kc per metr) fabric and batics.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I hear your pain sister! Despite the amount of French here; le patchwork community is non-existant! Oriental dancing classes are held every week at my gym but it's so diffiuclt!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Glad you have found a local group Dianne - enjoy the belly dancing!! xx

    ReplyDelete