11 February 2014

Doooomed

My Stitch Tease 2 quilt is doomed.  It's never going to get finished.  I finished pieceing  it way back at the beginning of January, and started quilting it shortly afterwards, full of enthusiasm.  First of all I used a variagated thread that I didn't like, so I unpicked it


Then the machine went wrong and had to go into the repair shop, and I had more unpicking to do. And the quilt sat waiting

Sadly the machine was no better when it came back.  Gordon then repaired it (better than the shop actually), but when I tried FMQ ing it all went to pot again, and I had to unpick more.  But it was sewing well in a straight line,  and I needed it to sew for my weekend with Bridget,  so the quilt sat a bit longer


Even when Bridget had gone, I could pluck up the courage to have a go.  I was convinced it was going to go wrong, and I couldn't face more unpicking, so guess what.... it sat a bit longer!

 Eventually, yesterday morning, I pulled on my brave girl knickers, and set to.   Clearly the planets were all aligned , because everything went well.  I was in the zone, miraculousy my machine found it's happy place too and was stitching really well.  Even the music on random shuffle was the good stuff, not the tracks that you never listen to on an albumn!

 I managed to do a side and a half around the edge, when it all started to go wrong.  I noticed that the quilt was not slipping freely under the foot,   I checked out the feed dogs,  the threads, checked I was still in FMQ on the settings.  Then I checked the foot.  It seemed a bit loose, and when I took it off, this happened
I put this photo on IG and got several very helpful suggestions of swear words I could use!  I already had of course, plus a few of the czech ones I know!

So guess where the quilt is now?

Yes, you guessed, it's sitting waiting again!  On a different chair, if that makes it any better, and there is no pun-picking to do this time.  I'm off now to track down a new one (or the one off my old machine if I can!)



19 comments:

  1. How frustrating! It's a beautiful quilt and I'm looking forward to seeing it when it's quilted so fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah...the dratted darning foot debacles. i have had the same thing happen....and "repaired" the foot using a twisty tie. i had tried a hair rubber band but it seemed to stretch out or something which did not keep the bit that makes the foot hop in place...good luck and i can not wait to see your entire quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd be spewing...I think its time to put that quilt away for a while...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That quilt is just trying to tell you that it deserves to be long armed ;) Seriously though, good luck getting it all sorted once and for all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how sad and completely frustrating. You won't forget quilting this quilt, that is for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This quilt will be even more special once it's finished and I'm sure you will be able to finish it soon. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crap! I'm sure it will be worth it in the end but geez, it's testing you, innit?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh!! I hope you find a replacement ( or maybe a new sewing machine!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Be patient, Diane ... sometimes it's just like that and everything goes wrong. I hope you don't leave this quilt totally because it is so beautiful. I would engourage you to hand quilt but I guess that's not option now when you have already quilted quite much. Good Luck! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no!! I hope it gets sorted soon and you can get back to quilting it with renewed enthusiasm!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a total pain in the arse that machine, it's not the quilt, it's definitely the machine, you must order a new one immediately! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sure I can hear the funeral march for that machine...

    ReplyDelete
  13. We're you able to find a replacement foot?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I knew there was a good reason why I stick to straight lines! Hope you get sorted soon x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have you thought about doing some EPP ... It's very relaxing in comparison!

    ReplyDelete
  16. At least you are on to your Stitch Tease no 2 - I still haven't started ST No 1……oh the shame of it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bitch if a quilt! I hope you don't end up hating it coz of all this trouble at the end. It is a lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete