16 February 2014

Slow sewing

Thankfully I now have a working FMQ foot again.   Thanks to all the tips and hints I received to "repair" my old foot.  In the end I didn't need them as I retrieved the FMQ foot from my old machine which my friend now has, and it fit.    It's not quite the same, and I think it puts a little more pressure down onto the quilt, because it all drags a bit, but with the zig-zag pattern I'm doing at the moment, it works fine.  In fact I think the stitch quality is probably a little better.

Whilst I had a little down time from quilting, I got on with the 2.5 inch square for a special quilt I'm making.  Using the charms I received from this LV charm swap, and scraps from my scrap bin (s) I have cut 800 squares, sewed them into 400 pairs, then 200 blocks of 4, then 100 blocks of 8 and finally 50 16 patch blocks. Phew - a bit of a long haul, but the results are well worth it


Also, whilst sitting watching the Olympics, I made a start appliqueing the snowballs onto their background.  Whilst Bridget was here, we found an old valance sheet that would make an ideal background for the snowballs, and we had a play around with a design.  We tried several modern, a-symmetric designs, but the background fabric (beige-ish with a raspberry polka dot) was a bit too dull to have huge blocks of it showing. In the end,  we decided on a boring  4 block x 5 layout.  The first three and a half blocks are done, and if I say so myself, I think I made a pretty good job


The corners were a bit tricky, but as recommended by several people, I just stuffed the corners under and sewed them down before they flipped out!  They aren't always brilliant, as you can see, but I'm fairly happy with them

I still have another 16 to go, but I'm finding the slow rythm of this sewing really relaxing, so I'm looking for any excuse to find a free 10 minutes to get a bit more done.

11 comments:

  1. Glad you found a FMQ foot. Sewing down all those snowballs would scare me. I have yet to sew down all my hexes to the backing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fantastic Diane and the bocks with small squares are so happy! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  3. they look perfect to me, you should see some of my points, but the people that get my quilts love me, My grand kids

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you have everything in hand, so I'll be on my way xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, I also favour the stuff and stitch technique :oD

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH My Goodness...the snowball quilt is the schitz! So pretty!

    Ive just finished putting together 1280 2.5 inch squares so I know exactly how that feels...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks fab, good work on sewing those corners/edges down, and with that many 2.5 inch blocks i'm not sure if you're mad or brave, probably a bit of both!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The snowballs are looking great and the little squares are lovely too, despite how much work they sound.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your snowballs are beautiful!!! Glad you sorted your foot out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE the snowballs so much. I've been doing Olympics-on-the-TV-friendly sewing too, like applique and binding ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your snowballs are very pretty, as are the scrappy patches. Glad you found an alternative foot!

    ReplyDelete