24 February 2014

The world's biggest postage stamp

I have been beavering away recently to get this quilt finished

For a long time, I have been wanting to make something that will use up my scraps.  I was inspired by the blocks requested by my fellow Stitch Teasers

Hadley requested a low volume block, but not just beige or grey


And I just loved the colours Val requested

I decided to put both of these ideas together, and make this simple quilt , taken from "Liberty Love"

 I finished piecing the top on Saturday, and managed to get a few shots of it yesterday, although the sun was very bright, and this quilt is so big, it's hard to get a photo of the whole thing.



Actually, the size of it is worrying me slightly.  It's for a standard double bed, and I looked up on t'interweb what the recommended quilt size is, but now I find this will fit our 6ft bed!  So I'm wondering whether or not to take two rows of blocks off, and use them on the back.  

I also need some backing for it - the two fabrics I have any decent quantity of, really don't look right.  Does anyone know of some good sales? I'm looking for a large print in pink/red/orange.  I also need a name for it - any ideas?

Hope you all had a good weekend, and are ready for the week ahead.




11 comments:

  1. Oh those colours really pop! It's great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is huge and it is pretty. I love the colours being requested in our bee too. I too shall be copying Val's palette.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh that's gorgeous, for backing do you have la redoute there? They do lots of 100% cotton bed sheets, I use them all the time now as I hate joining backs

    ReplyDelete
  4. so pretty. I love it! I would put a bright pink or orange on the back - but that's just me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks fab. I think FQS and Pink Castle have some of the extra wide backings, I'm sure there's a bright pink one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely- does this mean you have a new machine now then?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you able to purchase flat bed sheets? I find then very economical for quilt backs and no piecing necessary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely fabulous Di...I;d leave it exactly as it is and quilt the crud out of it...its a stunner!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've got some from backing from Lady Sew and Sew. Sometimes they do 5m of good fabric for £25... Not sure what they have now though.... Our House of Frazer has loads of Am Butler at £7 perm. I think they would suit this. Name? Summer stamps?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt looks great and love the block you made for Hadley.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a beautiful quilt. I wonder what you decided on the size. I sure love the colours.

    ReplyDelete