31 March 2014

Marrakech Express

Fancy a weekend away - somewhere really exotic, just a few hours from the UK and you get to meet other lovely quilters too?  Try Marrakech!

I was there last weekend with Helen.  We stayed in a riad belonging to Annabella and her husband Yussef, and met her mum into the bargain!   Whilst it was a realxing weekend, Marrrakech certainly does assault the senses.  The noise, the smells, the people - everything is so unlike England (or the Czech Republic now you mention it).  After being shown the way through the souk to the main square on the first morning by Annabella, we were on our own.  We very bravely wandered the narrow streets without getting too lost, managed to take a taxi, and had a carriage ride.  I'll let the photo's speak for me

My room at the riad
 






You can buy anything from olives

to a boy with a chameleon on his head


You can barter
Although you know you've not done very well when you see something cheaper in the shop at the airport!




And quite a lot of time was spent sitting in cafes, watching the world go around and drinking mint tea
But you have to take a break from time to time!

I had a great weekend, thanks to Annabella for giving us the low-down on a busy city, and of course to Helen for being such great company. 

16 comments:

  1. It looks wonderful! I would love to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely experience and so nice you could share it with Helen and Annabella

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marrakech looks like a beautiful city. I'm happy you had the chance to go there with your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Likewise my dear!! Your photos are great!! Where shall we go on the next adventure????

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks absolutely lovely, I would love a trip to Marrakech in the sunshine, hmmm, maybe next year :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marrakech looks amazing. I think I just put it on my list of places to visit !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm dying to go, as is my dad, but we have yet to find a free time in our diaries that corresponds with free holiday time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos Di! So lovely to make new real life friends of you and Di, and so glad you enjoyed your time here. I hope you'll both come back!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you finally got to meet Annabella. If anything you certainly got some beautiful photos to go with the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful trip! We were there about a year ago, and stayed at Annabella's riad. It truly is a unique experience...your pictures bring back wonderful memories of a fun few days in Marrakkesh!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Having spent two weeks in Morocco many years ago, I am envious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, it's so much fun to discover foreign places and countries! It certainly appears that you had tons of fun with Helen and Annabella! I was certainly well deserved, Ladies! My husband plans a trip to Brno this year (to the racetrack to be exact) so I might be part of the gang and get to discover your corner of the world :o) At least I THINK that I read that you live somewhere near Brno. I always enjoyed reading your posts about czech culture, places and people so strolling around Brno is something I look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Would love to go there, it looks fabulous. What a great weekend away. If only it was that close to us here, sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed looking at all your pictures, I was there some years ago, I remember the souk, I bought a tajine among other things...I remember the mint tea and the fresh orange juice...The food was delicious. Memories...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so jealous that you guys can fly for three hours and get to such a variety of exotic locations. I can fly three hours and get to....Perth!

    ReplyDelete