30 April 2014

A week in paradise

 No really, I'm not just saying that.  We've just got back from staying with my sister in Portugal, and her house is called Paradise!   We've had a fun week, walking, sight-seeing, gardening, eating, drinking, sewing and knitting.  I'll post some photos when we've had time to sort them.  But today is all about the quilt - Paraiso in Portugese.
You may remember shots of this quilt over the last couple of months

Well, I was keeping quiet about who it was for, because it was for my sister Jean, and I know she reads this blog from time to time, so I didn't want to let the cat out of the bag.  But it's been delivered, and I thought her house would make the perfect spot for a photo shoot.  Sadly my photography skills are not as good as I hoped, and we deleted a lot of the shots (some a bit too quickly Gordon) so here are a few of the better ones.






And a few I took at home


The quilt was inspired by these blocks I made for my stitch tease buddies

I loved the colours that Val  asked for

And I was amazed at the blocks we made for Hadley - my first use of low volume other than grey!

The fabric for the 16 patch was all from my stash and scrap bin.  To keep a soft drape to the quilt, I quilted it very simply with a straight line through the diagonals , using Aurifil 50 in a putty colour that exactly matched the Kona Putty I had used.  
I finished this quilt in Q1 and unfortunately it wasn't on my FAL list. Never mind eh!  It is very happy in it's new home and will be well loved, I know.

12 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful quilt, Di. I really love the colours and the simple but effective pattern. Another one to put on my long list of 'one day' quilts ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lovely! Great setting for your photos as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely design and beautiful colours. I'm sure your sister was over the moon with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the warm colour feeling of this quilt, a beautiful palette. And how wonderful to visit Paradise, it looks like a beautiful spot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a tough life having to spend whole weeks in Paradise... ;o) Love the quilt :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the colours and what a wonderful surprise for your sister. Glad you had a great time in paradise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really beautiful quilt and great pictures! Loving the blocks too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a beauty for sure - I need a photo shoot like that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos and beautiful fabrics too! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE the shot of the quilt on the well- gorgeously rustic! I seriously like that quilt. Simple but very cute.

    Congratulations on another finish too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bet your sister was thrilled to receive this gift

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks lovely in its new setting Di! Hope you had a wonderful trip!!

    ReplyDelete