18 May 2014

Bloggers Quilt Festival Part 1


AmysCreativeSide.com

Sometimes I am a numpty.  Knowing it was the Bloggers quilt Festival at the end of this week, I still posted about my Stitch Tease quilt on Tuesday, instead of waiting till Friday.  So, sorry to regular readers that you're having to go through it again! 

I am entering my Stitch Tease Bee quilt in the scrappy quilt category, because the inspiration for it was a scrap left over from one of the first fabrics I bought, and which still remains a favourite.  It's the one with the cockerels on the bottom
Sorry about the quality of the photo - the rest are much better, honest!

I added a few scraps of co-ordinating fabric, surrounding a central white block.  Then I added some embroidery.  And basically that's what I asked my fellow bee-ers to make.  A scrappy border, colours of their choice, with a central piece of embroidery/piecing/EPP/applique - something that they love doing.  And this is what I ended up with


I sewed them all together to make a medallion style quilt, and added a border of wonky crosses.  I quilted a spiral of straight lines in the middle, loopy loops in the first border, and zig-zag lightening in the outer border, using Aurifil 50 in a bright yellow colour.   The finished is exactly what I hoped I'd get - something scrappy, colourful and very busy. 

In deference to all those that read about it only this week, here is a link to my original post.  If you've not read it before, please take a couple of moments to take a look at it.  There are lots of closer-up photos of the beautiful blocks, so you can see the work of my clever bee mates

Details of the quilt

Made by: the members of the Stitch Tease Bee
Fabrics: From our stashes
Backing: Henna Teal Henna from Makower Fabrics
Binding: Henna Magenta Pop gtom Makower Fabrics
Started: July 2013
Finished: April 2014

To anyone visiting who is new to my blog - thanks for visiting.  I hope you enjoyed it, and maybe you could call back again when you you're not frantically trying to see all the beautiful quilts in the Bloggers Quilt Festival!

16 comments:

  1. Hi Dianne! This is one of my favourites! I adore this kind of quilts! Beautiful Fabrics, colours, pattern and the border is Super! This kind of quilts are also fun to make - not to bore with one kind of blocks. x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely and colourful quilt Dianne!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice entry Di! Enjoy the festival!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great scrappy quilt. I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You came up with a brilliant idea and pulled the blocks together perfectly. Great Di ish and great entry I tithe festival.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The perfect entry for the Festival Di. (At least you didn't leave finishing your quilt entry till yesterday, which is what I did )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went at looked at the original post so I could see close-ups. Wow! What a wonderful quilt! It's so fun to see the many colors, the different central pieces, and how well they all work together. Great border too! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love all the wonderful block centres! What a fabulous quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the layout you created with these blocks, so much nicer than just whacking them together in rows. The blocks are all so lovely, lucky girl to have such nice bee members.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! The border is super, too. Sets the blocks off perfectly. Great entry :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Quite happy to re-live Groundhog Day ;) So glad you entered this quilt Di - I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like how you used the cross blocks for the border. It really adds a nice touch. This is a sampler type of quilt I really like!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Marvellous quilt, so much to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  14. this one is a beauty and I am so happy to have played a small part in it

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a fabulous quilt! I love it!

    ReplyDelete