02 June 2014

Quilty Stitches

Little Miss Shabby
A few weeks ago, just before I went to my sisters, I was looking for a little hand sewing or knitting project.  I happened across this cross stitch sampler along (that runs off the tongue nicely, doesn't it) over with Little Miss Shabby.  It's a cross stitch sampler, using many of the blocks we regularly use when making quilts.   I chose to use a pallet of sea greens and blues, with a splash of pink.  I must admit, I stole this off was inspired by the colours  Helen's Sew Euro-bee-an quilt. Here's my pick of colours


I've been meaning to buy one of these thread organisers for ages, and joining this stitch along prompted me to do it.  My threads looked so untidy compared to everyone else's!

And progress so far


 These blocks take a surprisingly long time - well, they do me anyway!  Especially the second one.  It's been a while since I last did any cross stitch and I didn't realise just how much my eyesight has deteriorated!  Also, that diagonal thread at the top is an aide-memoire as to which way the first stitch should go, as I kept getting it wrong.  So anyway, the first three blocks are not the finest examples of stitchery, but now not only do I have my aide memoire, I also I have also had my eyes tested , and a new pair of glasses especially for close up work, and I hope the next few blocks will be better.

There are some  lovely samplers being made - you can see them either on Instagram  (hashtag - which my czech laptop doesn't have) quiltystiches or on flickr.



10 comments:

  1. The stitching looks great to me but then my eyes are buggered too. Sure they would look great with new glasses too though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet! And love the colour palette you chose too. I'm sure sewing is responsible for my quickly deteriorating eyesight...oh, and my age which according to the dr. was a 'catastrophe' for eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's looking amazing! You're a block ahead of me yet, but I'll catch up :) I love the colors you're going with...like them way more than I do my own!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like fun and perfect for carrying around!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love these!! I have one of those magnifying lights that goes round my neck like a 90 year old - but workd a bloody treat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously cute -I love it.

    Cant do any sewing or computer work or reading without my glasses these days - damn old age !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks good to me. I especially like the flying geese

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's gorgeous Di! (And I'm well chuffed to have provided the inspiration!!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks good! I love cross stitch. It was my first craft passion before I found quilting. I haven't done any for years though. Nothing like our hobby to inform us our physical capabilities are declining. Bugger!

    ReplyDelete