11 June 2014

WIP Wednesday

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced 
Like most of central Europe, we're having a mini heatwave here, with temperatures in the low 30's.  It's much to hot for me to do anything much.  Certainly not basting the Diamond Falls quilt which now has a back


The diamonds are twice the size of those on the front.  I got the idea from Elizabeth Hartmann's quilts in her book Modern Patchwork,    but I'm not sure if it works so well here.  Oh well, I had to do something as I didn't have enough of the patterned fabric, and  I'm sure it'll grow on me!  My sister-in-law will be here for a few days, and the weather should cool down a bit, so I'll get her to help me baste it.  Two pairs of hands make lighter basting!

In the meatime, I've made some more of these blocks
And now there are 12, enough for a baby quilt I think!
 But I'm unsure whether to do the sashing in grey
 or white?
I think maybe white sashing would lose the impact of the white strips in the block. So maybe a skinny strip around each block in grey, then white sashing.  What do you think?  Oh and I need a name for it too, please!

Linking up with Lee at WIP Wednesday, if you want to see what everyone else is up to


22 comments:

  1. I like the idea of the white sashing, but you're right, it may make the other colours appear that they are floating ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those little blocks! And cant decide which border I like best !! Either one will look great.
    Name: maybe In the Wind ....looks like flower seeds about to blow away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your fabric choices. While white sashing would look great, you might consider doing a complementary, but unexpected color. There are yellows that would like great with both the green and gray. Just my two cents!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your new blocks are great. If it were me, I would do a skinny white sashing around the blocks, like a tiny border and then sash the quilt in the grey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! So fresh and geometric, and organic at the same time. Suggestion for the sashing: how about a grey-on-white grid or crosshatch print? That would give you the contrast of the white to set off your blocks, but would definitely differentiate the sashing from the solid white in the blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes I like the border each block plus sashing idea.... hmmm name.... First thing that springs to mind is pistachio.... or white lines (not really appropriate for a baby quilt though!)
    And now Grandmaster Flash is in my head.
    Something like a phenomenon. Baby.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As you have skinny white in the blocks how about skinny white around them and then grey sashing. Whatever you decide the blocks are going to pop anyway because of the fab greens and the design.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really great blocks love the fabrics and colours you used

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you definitely need grey sashing, but skinny white borders and grey sashing may work. I'm hopeless at names= the fabric reminds me of seed pods!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Im really liking the idea of grey sashing...it just makes the gorgeous blocks pop and scream "look at me". Seriously - low 30's? Thats a perfect summer day down here !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sun, hot, hmph, don't rub it in! Still, the blocks are looking great! I vote grey, so you can join those of us in the damp north of Europe ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not normally in to grey but I think the grey works better with your blocks, which are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow this is great. Iove all the lines and prints..really makes it pop!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for one's marvelous posting! I certainly enjoyed
    reading it, you are a great author.I will make sure to
    bookmark your blog and will come back later in life.
    I want to encourage that you continue your great work,
    have a nice evening! obat penghilang tato

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a lovely baby quilt you have started there. I'm terrible at making dashing decisions sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those blocks are really lovely but I have no idea on sashing or name, sorry. I like the color combo.

    ReplyDelete
  17. For a baby quilt, I vote for white sashing.

    ReplyDelete



  18. Find best Online Jobs on Facebook...
    JobzCorner

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your design, fabric and colour choices here are quite striking Dianne. It will be good to see this one finished.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Best Free Earning Website where you can earn with just playing games and view some ads, join now
    PaidVerts.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Deals on a way for you, Just Join this best deals ever where you can buy every product with 90% Discount, please join fast and get all products with discounted price
    ValueDeals.pk

    ReplyDelete