12 July 2014

It had to happen

I woke up yesterday morning to the sound of pouring rain, and when I got up it was only 18 degrees.  Perfect weather for a day's sewing and tackling the quilting on Diamond Falls.



I basted it a couple of weeks ago, and have been putting off quilting it.  I fancied doing a diamond pattern within the diamonds, and thought I would have to draw up the quilting lines, so that I could get the lines straight.  But this morning I just marked a few marker points, and went for it.
A few months ago I bought a little work table to sit my machine in,  and this is my first opportunity to test it out on a full quilt.  I butted it up to the dining table and it's definitely cut down on the amount of drag on the machine - there are fewer corners to get caught around but I still need a table at the side and something to cover this little gap


So far so good, but I think it could still do with a line of stitching down the middle

That's better

And please tell me, am I not the only one that looks like this when I'm quilting?

(and yes, I am still in my dressing gown and I desperately need a haircut!)

Have a nice weekend everyone.  I'm off to sort out my finishes for Q3

14 comments:

  1. look at you! i could just reach in and cuddle you. dont get away with quilting in my pjs now, but i'd definitely be all tangled up in the quilt like that.... how about a sheet of template plastic wrapped over and some masking tape as a quick fix for the table join and corner?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that quilting on the diamonds, it looks great.
    I don't quite wrap the quilt around my like that when I'm quilting, but I do chuck it over my shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looking good .. the quilt AND the quilter!! lol x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you look cute in your jammies, rocking a look I favour myself a lot !

    That quilt is darling...I have been known to do that with quilts when they get in my way too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dianne! Beautiful quilt - I love those diamonds and you had great idea for quilting! Very good table, too! Hmm, I could never look like that because most of the year I feel too hot even without the dressing gown! But I guess now we don't need much heating even in the coldest months - I just quilt then! By the way, I just had haircut after several months. Happy weekend! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your post brought a smile to my face this morning! Indeed, I've been known to get "wrapped up" in my quilting just like you! Love the design you're doing in the diamonds. What's going in the contrasting diamonds?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking good! Your last pic made me smile for sure :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tend to bunch the quilt in my lap and I take out the pins as I go so that it gets less heavy as the quilting happens. I love the quilt, your quilting is perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The quilting looks fab - and you, my dear, are as glam as ever. It is raining here today too - so I'm heading for the sewing machine!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice! I do admit to the quilting in my jammies, and my hair always needs help ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the diamond quilting and yes, quilting in pjs is the norm here. The neighbours kids don't even bat an eyelid anymore when they arrive in and find me sat at my machine at lunchtime in them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking great, like your new bohemian scarf ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look very concentrated at work there. I hope the tension didn't get caught up in your shoulders. The quilting looks perfect for this design.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha, at least you put a dressing gown on. I'd just be in pyjamas. I think the quilting looks great. Makes the diamonds look loke Christmas decorations to me.

    ReplyDelete