29 September 2014

Diamond Falls

Way back in Juy 2013, when I was at the fat quarterly retreat, I bought this fabric in a frenzied lunch time dash to Shaukat, specifically to make the Love Beads quilt from Sarah Fielke's book Hand Quilted with Love.

Fast Forward to August 2014 and I finally finished it, but just never got the opportunity to photograph it. I took some fantastic photos (well, I thought they were fantastic) when we went out to burn a few sausages over a fire, at a friends place in the woods.  Then I got home and tried to transfer them to my i-pad with a new dongly thing I bought, and shazam! I deleted them all from the camera card, including all 700+ photos from our holiday!!! Fortunately Gordon had copied the holidays ones onto his laptop, but the quilt ones had gone for good! Here's one of Bridget's photos of me artistically arranging a quilt for a shot


and here's one of Bridget's quilt in exactly the same position as mine was on an old railway coach type thing. Imagine!
Then the other day, I felt my blogging mojo was on the turn, so I went out and took a few photos around the garden in the early morning sun.  As you can see the photo session was heavily bombed by various animals
Bugger off Lucy!

That's better


Hello George
Now Liska!

I don't think I got the back quite right, but I didn't have enough of the Tula Pink fabric, so I made some double size diamonds 

I love the way the sun shines through this one

Me again, mum!
The diamonds were a bit of a nightmare in truth, because there were so many errata in the cutting instructions.  I can't blame that entirely,  those coupled with me cutting with a ruler not templates, and clearly getting confused along the way, meant that some of these diamonds were the wrong size and had to be squeezed in, and the edging half and quarter diamonds were cut-as-you-go-to-fit!  But all was well in the end.
I wanted to quilt it in a way that would emphasize the diamonds, and the idea of a waterfall, and it had to be straight line, as I have no FMQ foot at the moment. (Don't worry about the pen marks - it's a frixxion pen and it will wash out - I hope)




It's still not been washed (in fact I might do it today!) but I'm going to be careful because I don't actually want this one to crinkle to much)

Oh and why is it Diamond Falls, not Love Beads?  Well I felt, and I don't think I'm alone on this one, that Love Beads had a slighty seedy feel about it! So it had to be changed!  And as it reminded me of a waterfall, so it was Diamond Falls.
Finish Along 2014
So that is another finish for the Quarter 3 FAL - where has this quarter gone?  Soon be Christmas ......

9 comments:

  1. Oh my, I feel your pain on the lost photos but what a gorgeous quilt. I love the new name and it's just well beautiful. The quilting is amazing - fab finish!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's terrible, there is not much worse than losing all your photos. At least you still have that gorgeous quilt so that you can take more photos. The quilting is perfect, and so is the name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful quilt! Certainly worth waiting a year or more for the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great, I love both top and back. And the quilting is very accurate, not like mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE everything about Diamond Falls Di. The colours, the fabric and the setting are so beautiful! The back is as pretty as the front too. I adore quilts that have two interesting sides.

    And even with your photobombing fur babies I think your pictures look very artistic! That happens here too all the freaking time ( the animal photobombing – not the artistic photos!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That fabric reminds me of liberty fabrics. Great quilt. Thank goodness you got your holiday photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Despite all the problems you think you had making this quilt it is one of my favorites of your makes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous job, but I entirely agree with the name change!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like your quilting in this one. Yep, the name sounds totally more family friendly!

    ReplyDelete