30 October 2014

Bloggers Quilt Festival part 2

AmysCreativeSide.com
My second choice for the Bloggers quilt festival is a baby quilt which I made for our goddaughters new arrival - it's seriously frightening when the little ones are growing up and having little ones of their own!

This quilt is quite important to me as I started it at a quilting class here in Valtice.   Whilst I have lots of quilting friends on the internet,and I have a couple of friends who live around 50 kms away, which is a bit too far to meet regularly, I didn't know of any quilters locally.  When I saw an advert for beginners quilting classes in town, I jumped at the chance.  OK , so I'm no longer a beginner when it comes to quilting, but it was an opportunity to use and improve my appalling czech, and meet some like minded people. For the second class, I took some of my own fabric with me, and made these "magic" squares
They were originally intended to be table mats, as this was what I bought the fabric for a couple of years ago.  But when I heard my goddaughter was pregnant, and it was going to be a boy, I decided to turn them into a baby quilt. I made the blocks up to 12, which is a bit on the large side, and sashed them with white around the blocks, then charcoal in between. I cut up the last bits of fabric to make a scrappy piano keys border. I quilted it using Aurifil white in chevrons that cross over in the middle to make a cross-hatch pattern.  The binding is Pike path from Makower, and the backing is that old favourite, Ikea Briten numbers!







I'm entering this one in the Modern Quilt category, mainly because it's definitely not your average traditional baby quilt!  The quilt is now delivered, and hopefully it will be loved and well used.

So that's both of my contributions for this years bloggers quilt Festival.  There are so many beautiful quilts this year, you really should hop over to Amy's Creative side and see them


7 comments:

  1. I really love this one - the grey/green/white combination is great. It will be treasured a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so fun and I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect category for this lovely quilt. But what struck me most in this was that 50 km is too far to go to meet regularly. That's how far I'm driving today just to go to lunch with a friend. We drive way too much in the US

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this quilt, the mix of colors, and the magic squares!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is just a lovely and unique quilt and a great alternative for a baby gift. Added bonus - this style will grow with the baby and it can be used forever !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diggin on those cool fabrics - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your choice of fabric and the colours really make this quilt. They work very well with the design

    ReplyDelete