25 October 2014

Bloggers Quilt Festival

AmysCreativeSide.com
It's that time of year again, when we can all show off our favourite makes for the past 6 months.   Hopefully, I will have some new visitors to my blog, so welcome, and do have a good look around. I hope you enjoy the show!

I've just spent a happy 10 minutes going through my previous offerings, and deciding what to show off this time.  As I've only actually finished 2 quilts, the decision is sort of made for me!

My first offering, in the home machine quilted category,  is a quilt I knew I wanted to make the first time I saw it in Sarah Fielke's book "Hand Quilted with Love"  It is called Love Beads in her book, but I changed the name to Diamond Falls.  The feature fabric, which is a Liberty Lawn fabric, was purchased last July when I was in London for the Fat Quarterly retreat, and the quilt was finally finished it August this year.







It was quilted on my home machine, a Husqvarna Viking Sapphire, which at the time, wasn't playing at Free Motion Quilting (and still isn't actually!) so it had to be straight line quilting.  I used  Aurifil thread, as always, but this time I was very daring and  tried the slightly thicker 40 weight in a light gold colour (2125),  I chose to follow the diamond patterns in the quilting, with the feature fabric diamonds more heavily quilted than the dotty fabrics.   I think it emphasises the idea of water flowing down the diamond falls.  I think the quilting is just perfect!


A big thanks goes toAmy  at Amy's Creative side for organising the Bloggers QUilt Festival, it must be a humungous job.  And thanks to all the sponsors too.


12 comments:

  1. Quilt pretty amazing and demanding work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dianne! This is so beautiful quilt! Fun way to use hexagons, lovely colours and great quilting! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your clever quilting design emphasises the diamonds beautifully. It's was a good idea and still uses only straight lines too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well at least you finished one ;o) Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously one of my most favourite quilts ever. I smile everytime I see it. I think the straight line quilting was the perfect call Di- let those fabrics and the design shine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful quilt! The straight line quilting is perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you entered this. My Husky is at Coles having it's FMQ tension assessed (and a new thread cutter) as we speak....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really beautiful, Dianne! Your quilting is amazing too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is one of my favorites of yours. You did a beautiful job and I remember the hassles it caused you

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous quilt! Thanks for sharing it.:)

    ReplyDelete