21 November 2014

Life on the ocean wave

The weather here finally improved enough for me to get some photographs of the little baby boys quilt I made for a friend.

When we first came to Czech Republic, we employed a young lady called Michala to help us in the office.  We became good friends, and she stayed with us during our time in that company.  She seemed to be one of those girls that was always unlucky in love, but finally she met "the one", got married and has now got a beautiful baby boy called Felip.  Of course, I promised to make a quilt for Felip, but it is a little late!




The quilt is from Sweetwater's Simple Home book, made in a mixture of Makower Coastal ,Nautical and Sea and Seaside collections, together with various fabrics from my stash.  The binding, a turquoise blue stripe,  is also a Makower fabric, but I'm not sure what, and the back is good old Ikea Britten numbers.  I had some triangles left over from the piecing, so I made a little strip to give the back a bit of interest.
I'm still unable to do any free motion quilting, so I found a stitch on the machine that looked like ocean waves and quilted straight across, at varying distances, using white Aurifil thread.

Now that Gordon is on the mend, and is able to drive, we must get around to delivering this before Christmas, or at least before Felip starts school!

Oh, and this is also another finish in the Q4 FAL 

Finish Along 2014 

9 comments:

  1. Your quilt is lovely! I love the simple pattern and the color mix. Very cute!
    I pinned it.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks lovely and I'm sure he will enjoy it.... Hopefully before school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope Filip will like this quilt! Looks great. Halloween´s Petra costume is realy naturalistic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice quilt. I'm sure Felip and his parents will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE that quilting Di - it looks exactly like ocean waves. Felip is going to love this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've used that stitch before.... I know you'll have tried everything on your machine, but I find that FMQ works best if you leave the dogs up, have a darning foot and use spring instead of floating motion. Floating is completely and utterly useless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You chose the perfect way to quilt this for the baby. It looks really good

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this, both front and back :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous fabrics! I love the unusual block shape and the quilting you've used. I'm sure the family will love it.

    ReplyDelete